Saturday, July 25, 2009

Old City Take 2



So after putting in around 5 hours of work this morning it was off to the Old City to give it another shot. My driver arrived promptly at 1pm and we were off. We parked and on our walk up to the gate we ran into his cousin - perfect, two tour guides. Off we go! We entered where the Via Dolorosa starts and did all of the stations. Now I must say that there are some stations that I believe occurred in those locations but other stations I can't quite picture how after all of these years it was documents and marked where Veronica wipes the sweat from Jesus' face. I understand the significance of Jerusalem and Bethleham but it should be that Jesus walked these streets and this is where miracles occured. I just can't buy into some of the locations are the exact locations since Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were written years after his death. I believe that being here you can feel his presense but wonder if he is looking down thinking that this place where so many people from different back grounds come to feel closer to him and there is so much fighting and hatred here between the Palistians and Israelis. It must bring such sadness for him to see.




site of Jesus' burial and resurrection inside - housed in it's own chapel
After the cliff notes version of Via Dolorosa (I'm teaching my driver some important words and concepts such as cliff notes and adventures) we went to this shop for shwarmi. He said that it is the most famous in Jerusalem. It was turkey in a pita with veggies. The turkey is cooked on a spit and shaved off. It was delicious.


my splurge necklace from yesterday

Now back to the hotel to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment